Hyland, Creator of OnBase
Pre-Construction, General Contracting
The Krueger Group was the general contractor for the tech campus expansion in Westlake, Ohio for Hyland, creator of OnBase, northeast Ohio’s largest software company. Situated on 23 acres, Building 3 represents an additional 167,000 sf. of office space under roof for their growing campus.
The former Five Seasons Sports Club, located across the street from Hyland’s world headquarters, was an 115,000 sf. facility that consisted of a central core constructed out of bar joists and metal decking with concrete slab floors and two pre-engineered metal buildings with standing seam roofs that contained 52,000 sf. of asphalt tennis courts.
From the beginning, the team was tasked with designing and constructing an office space, within the existing footprint, worthy of Hyland’s recent recognition by Fortune Magazine for a population that could grow to 1000+.
As construction projects go, any seasoned professional will tell you that making an existing space look like new requires more thought and precision than constructing a new building from the ground up. This project was no different. At the earliest design meetings, it was determined that (2) 26,000 sf. steel deck mezzanines would need to be constructed where the tennis courts used to be, effectively doubling the office space and allowing the core to serve as true collaboration space. Additionally, some existing features like the exercise facility and 3-point basketball gym, full commercial kitchen, and racquetball courts, were to be retained and upgraded.
In order to work within the tight deadlines corresponding to Hyland’s overall growth projections, the project was broken into two phases - Wing A and the core were to be completed by the end of 2013 and Wing B by March of 2014. Started in earnest on June 1, 2013, the construction team immediately went to work, completely demolishing the interior of the building back to the studs, keeping only the structure and enclosure. In addition to constructing an additional 52,000 sf. of floor space within the existing footprint the scope of work included the following:
- All HVAC, plumbing and sprinkler systems were upgraded
- An additional 800 amps of electrical service was added along with full UPS and generator backup
- Insulation systems were replaced or upgraded
- Natural light was introduced at the office wings by installing storefront and punch through glass systems at either end of wings A and B
- A new mechanically adhered roof was installed at the core
- A new 200 car parking lot was constructed where the outdoor pool used to be.
HANDING OVER THE KEYS:
Upon completion in March of 2014, the new home for Hyland’s research and development and scanning services teams contains 30 private offices, 25 conference rooms, 150+ workstations, 4 training and presentation rooms, plenty of collaboration space and breakout rooms and the following features that have become a hallmark of their work environments:
- Exercise and weight room with adjacent 3-point basketball court
- Full commercial kitchen and café
- Regulation size volleyball/badminton court
- Full service clinic
- Full service salon
- Entertainment room with pool table, arcade games and the latest gaming systems
+ Hyland Software's Building 3 was featured in Properties Magazine